Where can I get a degree in parapsychology?

Question by caligurllovya: Where can I get a degree in parapsychology?
I’ve doing some research on different careers,and parapsychology just seems right for me.
I’m just not really sure where i could get a degree in the field. Can some people help out????

Best answer:

Answer by eri
The only accredited (that means real) university in the world still offering a parapsychology degree is the University of Edinburugh in Scotland. Here’s their program. http://www.koestler-parapsychology.psy.ed.ac.uk/

It’s not offered by US schools because frankly parapsychologists have never found anything. As soon as you apply science to the paranormal, it disappears – there’s nothing to study, nothing with positive results anyway. And that’s why – and this point is important – no one is hiring parapsychologists. This simply isn’t a real field of study. How about just getting a psychology degree in stead? Either way it’s 8-12 years of college for the PhD, which is what you need to do research, so you might as well get a degree that’s employable and then do whatever you want with it in your spare time.

Add your own answer in the comments!

2 Comments so far »

  1. Dana said,

    Wrote on May 17, 2012 @ 11:28 am

    There are a lot of correspondence courses you can take and get a “certificate” in paranormal studies but it doesn’t really mean anything. Some courses out there are worth your time and/or money but some are not. I would get a degree in something that you can make a living at and do paranormal studies on the side, most people do not make a living doing those types of things.

  2. psiexploration said,

    Wrote on May 17, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

    First, be aware that most degrees in parapsychology are Ph.D. degrees and require a Master’s degree in another field of science (physics, engineering, medicine, psychology, etc.)

    You can get a minor in parapsychology with a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Franklin Pierce University.

    I have provided links below to both online courses in parapsychology as well as Ph.D. programs.
    Lund University (Sweden) and University of Northampton(UK)
    [see public parapsychology link]

    I would start at the parapsych link that is the Parapsychological Association which lists some of it’s members educations and published research.

    Most people that conduct parapsychology research make their living by teaching at a university in the subject they hold a Ph.D. (which is almost always in a conventional science).

    What you wish to study (ESP or PK?) and how you wish to study it (measuring the physical or examining beliefs) will certainly help you decide which area of science to pursue.


Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.