What majors deal with working with children?

Question by Kikki: What majors deal with working with children?
I can’t decide what to major in at college. I know for sure i want to work with kids, but i don’t know what i want to do. some ideas i have already are child psychology and early childhood education. please help!

Best answer:

Answer by Dorothy K
Both that you have listed are great ideas. Some others would be Elementary Education, Social Work, Speech Pathology, etc. You do not have to have a major picked out as soon as you start college. You can go in with an undeclared major, take courses to fulfill General Education Requirement along with Introductory/Exploratory Classes in any field that interests you, and by the time you reach your third or Junior Year of college, you will know what you want to do and can then declare your major.

Add your own answer in the comments!

2 Comments so far »

  1. Boricua said,

    Wrote on January 23, 2013 @ 9:25 am

    I didn’t know you could major in Child Psychology. But I suppose some schools could have that.
    You have options and you can always specialize.
    -Early Childhood Education
    -Special Education
    -Social Work
    -Business (You could make your own day-care)
    -Elementary Education

    That’s all I can think of for undergraduate degrees. But you can always further your education and that will broaden your opportunities. Best of luck.

  2. Mike S said,

    Wrote on January 23, 2013 @ 9:30 am

    Elementary Education and Child Psychology first come to mind. However, you could study to be a Social Worker (the pay is terrible) or perhaps you could work for a charity that helps children (management positions at some of these charities can be six figures).

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

The Psychology of Selling