What classes do I need to take in order to become a successful Sex Therapist?

Question by Bria: What classes do I need to take in order to become a successful Sex Therapist?
If you want to be a Sex Therapist, what would you call your major in college and what sort of classes would you take?

Best answer:

Answer by costdew
u would be a psychology major, take psycology and sociology classes and well as communication course like, interpersonal and nonverbal communication.

Give your answer to this question below!

1 Comment so far »

  1. Thinking said,

    Wrote on November 29, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

    I’ve actually thought about doing that when I’m out of college as well.

    First, you need to make sure that you are able to work where there is a market for such a thing. For instance, if you want to live in a small town, don’t expect much business! If you set up shop in a low-income part of a city, once again, don’t expect much business. You have to go where people can afford to dish out the money for such a thing, and you have to go where people are OPEN MINDED to such a thing (stay away from the extreme conservative part of town).

    You should definately major in either psychology or sociology (talk to a school conselor about the best one), and minor in the other. I’m pretty sure a ‘sex therapist’ falls under “Social Psychology” (the study of relationships between individuals). Your college will probably have this class available for you to take at the 300 level (in my school, it’s a psychology class). Also take Human Sexuality (sociology class).

    You might want to take some health classes as well that deal with sex. Also, it’s probably important to take ‘Gender’ classes as well (for instace, Gender and Communication) — you have to know the differences of how the 2 sexes communicate in order to actually counsel them.

    You’ll probably have to get at least your Master’s or PhD, to get certified (I don’t know the actually certification process, and I’m sure it varies by school and state).

    So, for now, you need to talk to a college counselor. Don’t take any advice on Yahoo Answers to heart, because like I said, different schools and states will have different criteria (some are more leniant or strict as well).

    If you happen to live near or in Indiana, one of the best (if not, THE best) sex research schools is the Kinsey Institute. (http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/)

    Good luck!

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.