Q&A: What type of jobs are there working with insane/mental patients?

Question by Scury: What type of jobs are there working with insane/mental patients?
I’m studying psychobiology in university right now and I think as a career I’d like to work with mental patients/insane patients at an institution (asylum or whatnot), you know, studying their behaviors, research about more about such mental illnesses like schizophrenia. What kinda jobs are there out like there that?

Best answer:

Answer by thorn105
First of all, you might want to brush up on your vocabulary, so that you don’t offend any patients you might come into contact with. They are not insane, they are mentally ill. They do not stay in asylums, but psychiatric hospitals or mental health facilities. (god, are you seriously in college?) Once you learn how to speak like an adult and get a few sensitivity training classes under your belt, you might wish to apply for a job as a mental health aide, or psychiatric technician. But if you only wish to study them in them, find another way. These jobs require lots of empathy and compassion, and unselfish giving to a fellow human being.

Add your own answer in the comments!

7 Comments so far »

  1. canadianborn2ride said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 7:28 am

    well im insane and i need a counselor

  2. amy F said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 7:56 am

    Get on staff at a state instatution or soemthing as psychotherapist or something. You’ll get to do everything you said you wanted to.

  3. Aunty Margaret said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 8:16 am

    Oh dear. I pray that I never need such intensive care and fall into your hands. I don’t know if you have ever seen Green Mile, but you remind me of the twisted guy out of that, Percy Wetmore, who doesn’t dampen the sponge. I suggest you think about your life and goals very carefully. Or atleast think before you speak.

  4. adobeprincess said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 8:50 am

    First off you might want to improve your language. People are not to be referred to as insane I am not sure there is a job observing behavior of patients. Jobs are more doing. With bachelors or masters degree you might be able to get a job as a mental health aid. You might be able to get a job as a social worker or a counselor. You need to develop compassion first and do some growing up.

  5. mr said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 9:24 am

    Cant answer your question but, can you find out how that big Indian guy pulled the water fountain out of the floor?

  6. Rose said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 9:47 am

    Ask at your uni. They should know.

    Or get some experience working with the mentally ill (which might or might not put you off, because work with the mentally ill, particularly the criminal sorts, can be emotionally exhausting.)

    Then, come up with a great research idea (or find someone’s who’s got one,) and get someone some corporate bigwig to sponsor you. Bingo, you’ll be a researcher working with the mentally ill – get some experience to put on your CV then apply to work in a hospital or psychiatric insitution as a psychologist.

  7. teresagayle@rocketmail.com said,

    Wrote on March 10, 2012 @ 10:03 am

    there are jobs in rehab units. they have alot of problems with drugs and alcohol. you can help them a great deal here. please consider it

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.