A trim is a decorative material attached to a fabric to make a finishing touch to a cloth, curtain or a home furnishing. These are things like linings, zippers, labels, threads, cords, tapes, stoppers etc. Trims are used to beautify a garment and adding value to the finished product. There different types of trims used in sewing varying depending on the materials used in making them and their application in garments.
Types Of Trim
· Ribbon trim-ribbons can be made of cotton, silk or synthetic materials such as nylon. They are used in tying and binding. Ribbon trims are used for symbolic and ornamental uses in tying around the body and also in buildings.
· Frill-this is a strip of lace sewn on and attached to a garment in form of a trim.
· Rickrack trims-these are woven in zigzag and are used in curtains and clothing as trimmings. They are made of cotton and are in different textures and colors.
· Piping-this consists of a piece of fabric folded and inserted into a seam to establish the lines of clothing. Piping can be made from the same fabric of the garment or from another fabric. It is widely used to decorate pillows and upholstery.
· Tassel trim-it is made by binding threads where by one end has a cord and the other end may have loose threads. It is used in decorations in garments and curtains.
· Cords-this is made of twisting two or more strands of yarn together. It is commonly used in dressmaking, upholstery and textile arts.
· Braids-made of strands of wires, hair or fibers through intertwining them. The simple one consists of three strands. Braids are used in making decorations in garments, ropes and hairstyles.
Trim is commonly used in clothing but can also be used to decorate home furnishings such as pillows, curtains, cushions, bed and sofa set covers. It can also be used in arts and crafts in hats, jewelry boxes, photo frames and mats. Different trims are also used in decorating accessories like handbags, belts and shoes.