Can anyone help me label a social psychology term?

Question by : Can anyone help me label a social psychology term?
In my social psychology class, i learned about a specific phenomenon that was defined as such: “a group of people are more likely to conform when one person comforms.” Isnt that referred to as the “___ effect?” I cant remember the term and i lost my old notes.

Best answer:

Answer by Faelwen
It just sounds like normative social influence to me. The definition for normative social influence is “the influence of other people that leads us to conform in order to be liked and accepted by them.” I could have picked the totally wrong term for what you’re thinking of, but it’s the best I could think of, sorry!


It could also be the “actor-observer effect”– “actors tend to attribute the causes of their behavior to stimuli inherent in the situation, while observers tend to attribute behavior to stable dispositions of the actor” (see link below)

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.