are all psychologists qualified to do psychotherapy secessions?

Question by Victor: are all psychologists qualified to do psychotherapy secessions?
i mean are your basic minimum (i have a bachelors degree) therapist good enough because I’m going to go see one some time this weekend
depending on how it goes I’m either going to continue with this person or get someone that focus specifically on psychotherapy

Best answer:

Answer by Mister Chartreuse
I think a doctorate is what qualifies you to do psychotherapy sessions.
And I belive Psychotherapy specifically has to be your field.

What do you think? Answer below!

3 Comments so far »

  1. twinmom said,

    Wrote on February 26, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

    There is no such thing as a psychologist who only has a bachelors degree. A psychologist has a PhD or a PsyD which are doctorate level degrees.

    Therapists may have a masters degree in counseling psychology, or clinical psychology or could have a masters is Social work.

    A psychiatrist has an MD with a specialty in the mental health feild and can prescribe medication.

    All of these degrees make them qualified to see patients or clients as a therapist. In each of these categories there are great therapists and terrible therapists. Go meet this person and see how comfortable you feel with them and decide if you think this person may be able to help you.

  2. caylo2ooo said,

    Wrote on February 26, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

    if you seem to hit it off with the person you are going to see, and you feel comfortable confiding in him, then that is half the battle. if you feel uncomfortable, then try and find someone else.

  3. answerme said,

    Wrote on February 26, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

    No all psychologists are necessarily “qualified” to do psychotherapy–they could be research or testing psychologists for example and have horrible interpersonal skills…and that’s why they’re not counseling psychologists, lol.

    The poster above is also incorrect: Social Workers concentrating on psychiatric or behavioral issues are qualified. They need to have at least a masters degree before an insurance company will consider accepting their billing. If they are licensed (LCSW’s) , then insurance companies will definitely pay.

    There are also masters-level counselors sometimes referred to as MFCC’s–masters in family and children’s counseling; some states may call them different things. These people are qualified and can submit insurance claims.

    There are “clinical” psychologists with only a masters degree who are totally qualified to practice, though they, too, may have a hard time billing insurance without a doctorate.

    If you have insurance and need to use it to pay for services, then let that guide your options. Also, check with your insurance company in advance bc their benefits may only cover short-term sessions or specific TYPES of therapy, such as CBT–cognitive behavioral therapy.

    Otherwise, it might be better to concentrate on:

    –Level/years of experience.

    –Sliding scale fee offered, esp. if you have no insurance.

    –What are their “specialties”, does their focus meet your specific needs. Unless there’s absolutely no one else available, why go to someone who specializes in eating disorders and domestic violence when what you need is grief work?

    –What is their style of work? What if they put you down on the couch and analyze you like a Freudian psychiatrist? Use a psychodynamic approach? Cognitive? Gestalt? What would work best for you? A psychiatrist, which could be like “one-stop shopping” if you need medication.

    Beyond that, you need to figure out *who* you need to see; who would be a good “fit”–A man? An older woman? Someone closer to your own age?

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Pakistani Clothes & Fashion Dresses Collection

↑ Grab this Headline Animator